Gulaab Jamun is an authentic Indian sweets, the recipe is brought to fiji by our ancestors from India. In this modern times Fiji type of Julab Jamoon and the Julab Jamoon made in India has slight differences in look but the taste is same. The sweets which is called Gulab Jamoon in India looks like Rasgulla, it is dipped in syrup and is round in shape. The sweet which is called Gulab jamoon in Fiji is cylindrical in shape that is long in length and it is round.
Ingredients for making Gulab Jamun Fiji Indian Type:
- 1 tin Condensed milk
- Elachi 1 tsp
- Jaifar 1/4 tsp
- Self raising Flour 3 cups
- Butter/Ghee 2 to 4 tablespoons
- Butter/Ghee 2 to 4 tablespoons (extra)
- Sugar 2 cups
- Water 4 cups
- Oil to fry
- Vanilla 1 drop (optional)
Method for making Gulab Jamun Fiji Indian Type:
- Ground the elachi and jaifar nd make it into powder.
- Sieve the self raising flour in a bowl.
- Melt the butter or ghee to be used and cool it.
- Open the condensed milk can and pour the content in a clean empty bowl.
- Add the powdered elachi, jaifar and vanilla to the condensed milk.
- Add the melted ghee to the condensed milk.
- Use a spoon to mix the ingredients added to condensed milk (stir in a circular motion).
- Sprinkle flour over the mixture and mix well. Repeat this process till the dough is stiff enough to be kneaded.
- Knead the dough well, should be a stiff dough (you can also use a few drops of ghee if needed).
- Pour sugar and water in a pan and boil it for 15 to 20 minutes over medium heat to make syrup (bubbles will form while boiling and it should be 1 string syrup).
- Take small pieces of dough and make round long shaped gulab jamun with your hands as shown in the image (approximately 1/2 cm wide and 3 cm long). (In this step you will need the extra ghee to rub in your hands so that the Gulab jamun dough does not stick to your hands).
- Heat oil and fry the gulab jamun till golden brown.
- Take out the fried gulab jamun from the oil and pour it in the syrup (Gulab jamun should be soaked well with the syrup).
- Take out the gulab jamun from the syrup after 2 to 5 minutes and cool it.
- Fiji Indian style Gulab Jamun Recipe is ready.
- Gulab Jamun is one of the Indian Sweets that is popularly made during Festivals like Diwali, Eid, Holi, Navratri and other Hindu and Muslim Festivals. It is also prepared for marriages, parties, birthdays etc.
- Some people may spell Gulab Jamun as Julab Jamun, Gulaab Jamoon, Julaab Jamoon etc