Neychoru is rice fried with spicies in ghee. It is a semi Biriyani made in Malabar/ Kerela. I love to eat neychoru with gravy meat curry like Goat or Chicken curry. But this can also be served with vegetarian curries. Neychoru is a Malayalam word meaning ghee rice. Ney means ghee and Choru means rice in Malayalam.
Ingredients for Cooking Neychoru or Ghee Rice:
- Basmati rice 2 cups
- Water 4 cups
- 1 Onions
- Garlic Paste 1/2 tsp
- Ginger paste 1 tbp
- Ghee 4 tbsp
- Cinnamon sticks 2 inches long
- Cardamon 4 pcs
- Black Pepper Powder 1/4 tsp
- Chillies cut into pieces 2
- Bay leaves/Tespatta 4 -5 leaves
- Sarso 1/4 tsp
- Jeera 1/4 tsp
- Salt as desired
- Fresh Coriander Leaves
For Garnishing Neychoru or Ghee Rice:
- ¬†Raisins 1/4 cup
- 2 Onions
- Cashew nuts 1/4 cup
- 4 tbsp ghee/oil
Method for Cooking Neychoru or Ghee Rice:
- Thinly slice the onions.
- Rinse and cut the Coriander leaves into small pieces.
- Break the Cinnamon stick into smaller pieces.
- Grind the cardamons in a mortar.
- Rinse the rice, drain the water and keep it aside.
- Heat the ghee in a cooker and splatter in sarso, let it spout.
- Add sliced onions, jeera, cinnamon, cardamon, ginger paste, garlic paste, black pepper, bayleaves and chillies. Stir while frying, fry till onions are slightly brown.
- Add the washed rice, salt, coriander leves and stir.
- Add 4 cups of water stir and close the cooker lid.
- Let the neychoru cook till rice is tender.
Method for preparing Garnishing for Neychoru or Ghee Rice:
- Thinly slice the Onions.
- Heat ghee and fry the sliced onions till brown.
- Take out the onions and fry the cashews till slightly brown.
- Take out the cashews and fry the Raisins.
- Sprinkle the fried onions, Cashews and raisins over the cooked neychoru.
- Mix the neychoru and serve with gravy meat.