The Custard Pie is one of the most popular baked dishes in Fiji. The Custard Pie is prepared by baking the Crust/Pastry dough first followed by cooking a thick custard. This hot thick custard is poured over the Baked custard pie crust (Pastry dough) and let to cool. This can be glazed with condensed milk to give extra flavor.
Ingredients for Baking Custard Pie/Tart (Fiji Style):
- 4 tbsp Butter or flora
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 cups Flour
- 4 tbsp sugar (for crust)
- 2 tbsp sugar (for custard)
- Powdered milk 4 tbsp
- 4 tbsp custard powder
- 1 and 1/2 cup water
Method for Baking Custard Pie/Tart (Fiji Style):
Step 1 (Making the Pie Crust/ Pastry Dough)
- In a bowl, pour the butter and make it soft.
- Break the 2 eggs in a small bowl, beat it and pour it in the bowl of butter.
- Add sugar to egg and butter mixture and mix well.
- Add baking powder. Beat all ingredients well together.
- Sieve the flour and slowly add flour to the mixture and knead dough. Make a roti dough.
- Brush the baking tray with butter or flora and spread the dough on the tray.
- Bake it in an electric frypan on low to medium heat for approximately 25 minutes or till skewer/toothpick comes out clean. The Crust it ready to be filled with the custard.
Step 2 (Making the Custard)
- Pour the powdered milk, custard powder and water in a pot and boil it, keep stirring while boiling.
- Pour the custard mixture over the Pie Crust when the mixture is thick enough.
- Let the Custard on the pie cool, slice it into pieces and serve as dessert or serve with tea.
- You can make this delicious Custard Pie Recipe more tasty by glazing it with condensed milk as illustrated below.
Pour 1/2 tin condensed milk in a bowl, add 1/2 small lemon juice and mix well.
Spread this condensed milk mixture on the Custard pie to give more flavor.
- or you can decorate the top with sliced fruits.
- The Custard Pie can also be called Custard Tart or Custard Flan
The above Custard Pie Recipe was supplied to me by my elder sister Mrs Roshni Lata.