This is a breakfast menu in South India and is famous throughout India.
Ingredients for making South Indian Style Idli:
- Baking Powder 1 tsp
- 2 cup Uncooked Rice
- 1 cup Urdi Dal (White split dal)
- 1 cup leftover Cooked rice
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi) 5 pcs
- Salt 1 tsp
Method for making South Indian Style Idli:
- Soak the uncooked rice, urdi dal and methi separately for about four hours.
- Blend the urdi dal, rice and methi separately (Pour sufficient water to make it into paste.
- Mix the blended ingredients together and leave it for approximately 8 hours (overnight) for fermentation.
- In the morning, blend 1 cup last nights leftover rice.
- Mix together the fermented rice and urdi dal paste, blended rice, salt and baking powder. Make this into a runny paste (Add more water if required).
- Spread some oil on the mould of idli tray.
- Fill the idli cooker with enough water for steaming.
- Pour the Idli batter into the idli moulds and steam cook the idlis for 10 minutes.
- Serve the idlis with Coconut chutney/Peanut Chutney or Sambar.