Aloo Ka Paratha is very easy to make and its very tasty at the same time. It is simply roti stuffed with spiced meshed potatoes and cooked with plenty of ghee or butter. The Alu Paratha is Indian dish and is very popular Punjabi breakfast menu.
Parathas are roties made with plenty ghee and aloo Paratha is Roti stuffed with Potatoes. Aloo/alu/aaloo is the hindi word for Potatoes.
The Aloo Prathas are usually served with Pickles and curd and a hot cup of milk tea. I prefer to dip my hot crispy parathas in milk tea and eat. It is supposed to be served hot. Hot parathas are very crispy and scrumptious.
The filling should be all meshed so that it does not stick out and tear the dough while rolling it out.
The Following step by step recipe will make 8 Aloo Parathas. First the Roti dough is prepared and the Potato is prepared separately and than the Spiced and meshed potatoes are stuffed in the roti and rolled to make Aloo Parathas.
Ingredients for roti used for making Aloo Parathas:
- 2 cups of flour 400 g
- Water for making dough (210 ml approximately)
- Pinch of Salt
Ingredients for spiced Potato stuffing used for making Aloo Parathas:
- 4 medium sized Potatoes
- 1/4 tsp Roasted and grounded Jeera
- Pinch of Chilly powder
- 1/4 tsp Garlic paste
- Coriander Leaves (cut into very small pieces)
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 Onions (optional-It is supposed to be cut really very finely)
- Pinch of Masala (optional)
Other Ingredients used for Making Alu Parathas:
- Ghee or Butter for cooking
- Plain Flour for dusting
Method for the dough used for making Aloo Parathas:
- Sieve the flour
- Heat water for making dough.
- Add a pinch of salt to flour and mix it.
- Add water to the dough and make a smooth dough.
- Break the dough into 8 equal pieces.
- Make each small dough round and smooth.
Method for the Stuffing used for making Alu Parathas:
- Boil and peel the Potatoes.
- Mesh the potatoes.
- Add Jeera Powder, Chilly Powder, Garlic Paste, Cut Coriander/Cilantro Leaves, Sliced Onions, Salt and Masala.
- Mix this well.
- Break the Potato filling into 8 equal pieces and make it round in shape.
Remaining Method for making Aloo/Alu/Parathas or Potato Stuffed Roti:
- Take 1 dough and roll out to to the size of 1 large potato.
- Put the the potato filling in the middle of the half rolled dough.
- Close the filling inside the dough.
- Pat the dough with some flour and roll out the Paratha.
- Heat a tawa or a flat pan smear some ghee or butter on the pan.
- Transfer the rolled Paratha to the pan/tawa.
- Cook both sides of paratha well, apply plenty of ghee or butter while cooking.
- Repeat the process for all the parathas.
- Serve hot Aloo Parathas with curd and pickles and a large cup of milk tea.