The Aloo Anda/Anda Alu curry in Fiji Indian style is made by boiling the eggs, taking off its shell and frying the boiled egg till light brown. The Potatoes are cut into bite size pieces and cooked, when the curry is half way cooked, the boiled eggs are added to the curry and cooked. This curry is tasty when there is a thick gravy and some tomatoes are also added to give flavor. You can also garnish the Anda Aloo curry with coriander leaves.
Some people boil the eggs and potatoes while other people make the same curry by boiling only the eggs and not the potatoes. Its entirely your choice to boil the potatoes or not for making Anda Aloo curry.
I have also seen that some people do not fry the boiled eggs in oil. I prefer to fry it because it it gives a special taste.
Ingredients for cooking Aloo Anda (Egg and Potato Curry):
- 4 Eggs
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- 1 Carrot (optional)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/4 tsp Sarso
- 1/4 tsp Jeera
- 5 seeds Methi
- 1/4 tsp Chilly Powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 Onion
- 1/2 tsp Ginger paste
- 2 tbsp Masala
- 1 tsp Haldi
- Curry leaves
- Coriander leaves for Garnishing
- Salt to taste
- 4 cups water for boiling eggs and potatoes
- 4 cups water for cooking curry (approximately)
Method for cooking Aloo Anda (Egg and Potato Curry):
- Put the eggs and potatoes in a pot and cover it with water.Put a lid and boil this till potatoes are tender.
- Let the eggs and potatoes cool and take off the potato skin and take off the egg shell. Cut the boiled potatoes in bite size pieces.
- Use a food peeler to take off a thin layer of skin off the carrot, rinse the peeled carrots and cut it in small pieces.
- Take off the onion skin and cut it into lengthwise slices.
- Rinse the coriander leaves and cut it into pieces.
- Heat oil and pour the boiled eggs in the hot oil, fry this in low flame till golden brown and take it out of the oil when brown.
- In the same hot leftover oil, pour the sarso, jeera, methi, some onion, curry leaves and ginger. Stir this and add garlic.
- When garlic starts to get light brown, add the haldi and masala stir and add potatoes.
- Add the 4 cups of water, carrots, salt, chilly powder and the boiled and fried eggs.
- Cook till the soup is bit thick and the carrots are tender.
- Serve Aoo and Anda Curry with rice or roti and chutney.
- You can know that the potatoes are tender and boiled by inserting a fork or a knife in the potato. If it is inserted easily than the potatoes are boiled.
- When you are in steps 7 and 8, do not let the items burn, otherwise it will taste ugly. So keep the flame low on this step and be fast.
- You can either call this recipe aloo anda curry or anda aloo curry but its basically Egg and Potato Curry.
- You can either add more water or less water. The amount of water added to any type of potato curry depends on the quality of potatoes used. Better quality potatoes means lesser water will be used as well as lesser cooking time. A thick gravy in Anda Aloo curry will be tasty.