- Khatai (dried and preserved mangoes)
- Garlic paste
- Chillies chopped
- Ginger paste
- Curry leaves
- Sarso/mustard seeds
- Wash the khatai well and soak it overnight.
- Squeeze the khatai with your hands.
- Heat oil, add garlic, sarso and ginger and fry it till light brown.
- Add tumeric and masala and simmer it for few seconds and add the khatai mixture.
- Wash the tamrin and add equivalent amount of water to it and squeeze it with your hands. Pour the liquid part of the tamrin to the cooking khatai mixture.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Cook for 15 minutes and add sugar, simmer and taste to see if salt and sugar is ok.
- When thickness is ok, the Khatai Chutney recipe is ready to be served.
- Do not soak khatai (or anything sour) in metal pot but use a plastic basin or glass bowl because corrosion will occur otherwise.
- Do not let the chutney be very thick, otherwise it will stick together like a jelly.
- Can be served with other food like curry, rice and roti.
This recipe is supplied to me by my aunty Janaki Narayan. She has her ministry at Radio Naya Jiwan in Suva . Radio Naya Jiwan is a Christian Hindi radio Station in Suva Fiji.